ENHANCE YOUR HOME
It is important for your home to look its best when going on the market. I can advise you on enhancements and give you recommendations for preparing your home for sale.
BEFORE PUTTING YOUR HOME ON THE MARKET, YOU CAN ENHANCE ITS INTERIOR BY:
- Cleaning every room and removing clutter. This alone will make your house appear bigger and brighter.
- Hiring a professional cleaning service every few weeks while the house is on the market.
- Removing items from kitchen counters, closets and attics.
- Re-surfacing soiled or strongly colored walls with a neutral shade, such as off-white or beige, and applying the same color scheme to carpets and flooring.
- Checking and repairing cracks, leaks and signs of dampness in the attic and basement, as well as repairing cracks, holes or damage to plaster, wallboards, wallpaper, paint and tiles.
- Replacing broken or cracked window panes, molding and other woodwork.
- Inspecting and repairing plumbing, heating, cooling and alarm systems.
- Repairing dripping faucets and shower heads.
- Buying new towels for the bathrooms to be displayed when prospective buyers visit.
- Sprucing up a kitchen in need of major remodeling with new cabinet knobs, window treatments and a coat of neutral paint.
- Consider bringing in a professional stager to set the scene throughout your home.
YOU CAN ENHANCE EXTERIOR AND CURB APPEAL BY:
- Keeping the lawn manicured and watered regularly.
- Trimming hedges, weeding flower beds and pruning trees regularly.
- Checking the foundation, steps, walkways, walls and patios for cracks and crumbling.
- Inspecting doors and windows for peeling paint.
- Cleaning and aligning gutters.
- Inspecting and clearing the chimney.
- Repairing and replacing loose or damaged roof shingles.
- Repairing and repainting loose siding and caulking.
- Keeping walks neatly cleared of snow and ice in winter.
- Adding colorful annuals, near your front entrance in spring and summer.
- Re-sealing an asphalt driveway.
- Keeping your garage door closed.
- Applying a fresh coat of paint to the front door.
WHEN SHOWING YOUR HOME:
- Plan on vacating during the showing period. Potential buyers may feel like intruders and hurry through your home if you are there.
- Open drapes and curtains before prospective buyers arrive. Make certain the temperature is comfortable. Turn on all lights.
- Keep pets out of the way temporarily unless they are quiet and well behaved.
- Soft background music acceptable, but blaring stereos, radios and televisions will impede discussions.